Sleep is incredibly important for health. We need sleep for our body to heal and rejuvenate from the day’s activities. Unfortunately, many people either have difficulty falling asleep or simply don’t get enough sleep, which is where insomnia remedies come in. There are two basic categories when it comes to insomnia remedies: artificial and natural remedies.
- Artificial Remedies
The first is an “artificial” remedy, commonly this takes the form of over the counter or prescription drugs. This type of remedy or medicine can be found in a pharmacy or drug store. They are usually prescribed to target a sickness at the source. Artificial remedies usually cost money, but typically deliver fast results. Many medicines today are filled with harmful chemicals that are not safe to be consumed for a prolonged period of time.
- Natural Remedies
The other kind of remedy is called a “natural remedy.” People have practiced natural medicine for centuries. This type of remedy utilizes the body’s natural healing process for beating insomnia. It is often less expensive, but what makes them stand out is the fact that they’re not as toxic as taking over the counter or prescription drugs.
Regardless of which kind of remedy you choose, the goal is to help you fall asleep and stay asleep. These remedies are meant to aid you to get more rest at night. Most of these remedies will cause drowsiness, so it’s best to take them right before bed unless it states otherwise. It is also important to make sure that you talk to a doctor before getting any medications listed below.
- Eszopiclone: Also known as Lunesta, is a group of drugs capable of putting you to sleep easily and quickly. Statistics show that Lunesta is can put most people to sleep for an average of 7-8 hours. It’s a strong group of drugs, so make sure you stay away from it unless you’re able to have a full night rest to prevent grogginess. FDA limits the drug dosage to be not more than 1mg. Any more than that might cause grogginess the next day.
- Ramelteon: This group of drugs functions differently, it doesn’t cause adverse effects to the users such as grogginess, drowsiness, and so on. Common drugs used to induce sleep targets the CNS (Central Nervous System), depressing its functions and put the user in a sleepy state. Ramelteon, on the other hand, targets specifically the sleep-wake cycle. This drug is prescribed to those who have difficulties falling asleep. Due to the lack of side effects, Ramelteon can be prescribed for long-term use. The drug has also shown no history of abuse or dependence.
- Zaleplon: Also known as Sonata. Most drugs have a long activation time in a human body. Sonata isn’t one of them. Among all the latest sleeping pills, Sonata managed to stay active in the system for the shortest amount of time. In other words, this drug leaves little to no side effect the next morning. For instance, if a person has difficulty falling asleep, a Sonata pill will help them fall asleep without feeling off the next day.
- Doxepin: Also known as Silenor. This group of drugs is prescribed specifically to those who have difficulty staying asleep. You can say that this is an artificial remedy for the “light-sleepers” who easily wake up at night due to a minimal amount of stimuli. It acts by suppressing the histamine receptors, thus aiding sleep maintenance after you’ve fallen asleep. As this drug requires you to stay asleep for a set amount of time. Do not consume Silenor unless you’re able to sleep in for full 7-8 hours at night.
- Benzodiazepines: Benzodiazepines are useful for both short-term and long-term insomnia. It has a lasting effect on the body as it stays in the system for a long time. So, for those who’ve had insomnia for a long time, this drug can aid them in their journey to full recovery. It’s commonly used to treat prolonged nightmares and sleepwalking. As the effect of this drug is unyielding, you might feel tired and drowsy the next day. Another side effect of this medication is that this drug can result in drug dependence, meaning that you might have to rely on this drug to fall asleep and stay asleep in future. Benzodiazepines can be found in sleeping pills Triazolam (Halcion), Alprazolam (Xanax), Temazepam (Restoril), and others. It is important to get a medical evaluation before you take any sleeping pills.
Always See Your Medical Doctor First
Visit a doctor for a thorough examination. Always consult your doctor about the adverse effects of any medication before deciding which pills to take. Each drug can cause different side effects. The side effects can be a headache, severe allergic reaction, prolonged drowsiness to just name a few. On the other hand, some would prefer to go for natural remedies instead. You don’t have to depend on chemicals with harmful adverse effects especially upon waking up. Instead, why not use natural remedies to repair your sleep cycle and put an end to insomnia.
Natural remedies for insomnia might include getting enough exercise, eating a healthy diet, meditating, lowering stress with music, turning off electronic devices, keeping the room cold and dark and showering or reading followed by a cup of caffeine free tea before bed. In a future blog I will discuss natural remedies in further detail.
Working with Shirley
If you would like to work with Shirley on resetting your sleep schedule and conquering your insomnia, email her at: email@example.com